Hollywood is Calling…Hollywood East That Is!
Affectionately referred to as “Hollywood East” by locals, Wilmington, N.C.’s Historic River District and Island Beaches boast a bounty of extraordinary experiences from the river to the sea. Since Hollywood first called in 1983, Wilmington and our island beaches have logged more than 400 film-related credits, including the largest production to date for the Wilmington area, Marvel Studios' "Iron Man 3" - 2013's highest grossing film!
Last year was a banner year for movies made in Wilmington and its Island Beaches with Iron Man 3, We're the Millers and The Conjuring.
Summer 2014 is sizzling with the box office success of Melissa McCarthy’s made-in-Wilmington comedy “Tammy” and strong ratings for CBS’s hit summer series “Under the Dome.” Other projects currently in production include: North Carolina native Nicholas Sparks’ latest novel-turned-screenplay "The Longest Ride," indie film “Bolden!”, FOX TV’s “Sleepy Hollow” (Season 2), and ABC’s new series “Secrets and Lies.”
Here are more reasons to look forward to Summer/Fall 2014:
• Season 2 of CBS's "Under the Dome" premiered on June 30 with a script written by best-selling author Stephen King, who is also one of the show's executive producers. New characters this season include the sinister Lyle Chumley, played by country star Dwight Yoakam. And, yes, he even sings during some of his scenes.
• The summer road trip comedy "Tammy," starring Melissa McCarthy, Susan Sarandon and Dan Aykroyd, made quite a splash with a strong theatrical debut on July 2nd. We love seeing Wilmington and our beaches on the silver screen!
• STUDIO TOURS RETURN! This summer visitors can experience behind-the-scenes movie magic during weekend guided tours of EUE/Screen Gems Studio in Wilmington, N.C. This summer the weekend tours will often include sets from productions. Depending on filming schedules, set availability may not always be guaranteed, so get yourself to Wilmington soon for a Hollywood East experience!
• FOX TV’s hit series “Sleepy Hollow” second season premiers on Monday, September 22 at 9pm (EST). For a behind-the-scenes preview of Season 2 click here.
• ABC’s new made-in-Wilmington series “Secrets and Lies” will premier this fall (stay tuned for the release date. To see the trailer, click here.
Filmmakers and visitors favor the mild climate, island beaches, varied landscapes and architecture, and historic town along the Cape Fear River. Pulsing with an independent spirit, charm and energy that will nourish the soul, come see why Hollywood lights are drawn to Wilmington. AND Entertainment Weekly gives you the scoop in "Wilmington, N.C.: Small City Behind Big TV Shows". Even "Sleepy Hollow" stars Tom Mison and Orlando Jones agree in this PSA they did for North Carolina Historic Sites.
Explore the more than 400 film-related credits filmed in Wilmington and our island beaches such as Marvel Studios'; "Iron Man 3," "Safe Haven," "East Bound & Down," "One Tree Hill," and "Dawson's Creek;" and learn why Wilmington is a special city for the film industry in a Quick Tips Preview Video of Hollywood East.
Wilmington-made productions continue to make headline news and garner nominations/awards. Check out our latest press and accolades!
Be ahead of the curve and check out photo galleries, interviews and much more for Wilmington’s locally-filmed productions. Explore the locally filmed Fox series “Sleepy Hollow” as it puts a new spin on the classic Washington Irving tale or Stephen King’s CBS original series “Under the Dome” which is currently filming its second season in the area.
Visit Star News' "Wilm on Film" site to learn about all things film, from the tiniest independent documentary to big-budget studio projects or get the inside scoop on local productions and latest buzz at The Wilmywood Daily.
Ever wonder how movie magic is made? Tour one of the biggest (and busiest) moive studios on the East Coast - EUE/Screen Gems. Or join one of several different local tours in town that visit sites from the hundreds of movies, TV series and other projects shot here. Experience movie magic with film tours, itineraries, and more.