New Hotel, Restaurants, Games and Pedestrian Walkways Coming to Carolina Beach
Plan now for a 2016 Beach Getaway
Carolina Beach, N.C. – January 4, 2016 – 2016 is bringing new and exciting changes to the beloved Carolina Beach, N.C. First time visitors and repeat vacationers will find a new hotel, an extended boardwalk, unbelievable burritos, brand new one-of-a-kind tours and more. The list below shows how this seaside town is evolving with new infrastructure, lodging and dining options, entertainment and outdoor activities.
- The Island Greenway Project will be completed this summer consisting of a 1.2-mile paved path from Mike Chappell Park to Alabama Avenue. Visitors will be able to explore the island on foot or bicycle via the new path, even making it from the central business district to Carolina Beach Lake Park where they can explore the 11-acre freshwater lake via paddleboats.
- The Carolina Beach Boardwalk will receive another extension. The wooden walkway will include an 875-foot continuation from Harper Avenue to Pelican Lane. The extension will feature benches, swings and provide a connection from the main beach to the marina on Myrtle Grove Sound. The boardwalk, named one of America’s Most Awesome Boardwalks by Budget Travel, received considerable renovations in 2015 including 16-foot walkways, additional ADA accessible beach access points, and new restaurants and accommodations.
- Carolina Beach State Park is celebrating the 100th anniversary of North Carolina State Parks with a special event on May 14, 2016. Learn about the history of the parks system, as well as Carolina Beach State Park specifically. Activities will include guest speakers and a ranger-led hike to view the park’s world famous Venus flytraps. Carolina Beach State Park is also getting a major camping upgrade with the addition of new cabins throughout the 750-acre park, along with updates to 83 existing campsites. Thanks to the upgrades, there will be a wider variety of camping options year-round at the park, including those looking to camp via RVs.
Lodging, Dining and Nightlife
- A new hotel is scheduled to open in summer of 2016. Construction is underway for a 106-room Hampton Inn & Suites located oceanfront and near the Carolina Beach Boardwalk.
- After several years away, Flaming Amy's is coming back to Carolina Beach! The local restaurant known for its out-of-ordinary burritos will be open for lunch and dinner, serving nachos, tacos and of course, burritos. Thrillist.com recently named the restaurant as one of the best burritos in America, noting the Philly cheesesteak-inspired burrito. The new restaurant is scheduled to open at 1140 N. Lake Park Boulevard in early 2016.
- Good Hops Brewing has added a nine-hole disc golf course in its backyard for visitors to enjoy at no cost. There’s no better way to enjoy locally brewed ales on a mild Carolina Beach day. New beers will be introduced each month throughout 2016. The brewery also recently added 1,000 square feet of event space to the property.
- Word is spreading about Surf House restaurant: Our State Magazine named it as one of the five farm-to-table restaurants to visit in the entire state in 2015. Chef and owner Craig Love has vowed to support local fisheries and fisherman by serving sustainable, lesser-known-but-equally-flavorful alternatives to the seafood options featured on most menus. Instead of mahi-mahi, try the amberjack; instead of sardines, try the mullets.
Outdoor Activities and Fitness
- Tony Silvagni Surf School will be offering new rentals in 2016, including beach cruisers, kayaks, boards, chairs, umbrellas and more. Silvagni just finished 1st place in the Pro Longboard division at the Taiwan Open and 5th place in the world for professional longboard. Visitors can learn to surf and paddleboard from Tony and his talented team of instructors throughout the year. The school also just installed a new Carolina Beach Live Surf Cam. Soak in the views anytime online.
- Paddle NC is ringing in 2016 by doubling its fleet and purchasing brand new day-touring tandem and single kayaks. The company’s world-class guides have worked to provide even more activities for visitors and will offer a new three-hour park-paddle tour and add several overnight trips this spring. Paddle on the ocean or take in the views at the nearby Hammocks Beach State Park.
- Thanks to a recent facelift, CB Golf & Games feels brand new! Visitors will enjoy the brand new greens throughout the 18-hole mini-golf course and complete renovation of the entire park. The facility also features batting cages and an arcade that the whole family will enjoy.
- In addition to aerial yoga, Salty Dog Yoga & Surf will offer various new workshops and classes including kids yoga, a monthly meditation class, yoga for surfers, and a monthly mindfulness and 12-steps gathering.
About Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach offers the best of a North Carolina beach experience from the past with a family-friendly spin for today. Experience a nationally recognized seaside boardwalk, Carolina Beach State Park, one-of-a-kind events, world-class fishing, miles of beautiful beach, and all kinds of people united by their love of good times. There are a lot of beaches in North Carolina, but only one Carolina Beach. For more information, go to VisitCarolinaBeachNC.com or call (800) 641-7082. Find us on Facebook at Facebook/CarolinaBeachNC and Twitter and Instagram, @CarolinaBeachNC.
French West Vaughan