Get your heart racing on land or sea with these adventurous activities
Wrightsville Beach, NC - Wrightsville Beach is known as a popular destination for visitors who love the great outdoors. A unique combination of natural conditions makes it the perfect place for watersports like standup paddleboarding and kayaking, and the easy island vibe welcomes even beginners to try their hand at a new active pastime. However, Wrightsville Beach also has plenty of activities for those in search of a more adventurous getaway.
Check out these heart-pumping activities in Wrightsville Beach, perfect for adrenaline junkies:
- Kiteboarding and Windsurfing – If you’ve visited Wrightsville Beach before, you’ve probably seen someone out on the ocean windsurfing (imagine a small and speedy stand-up sailboat) or kiteboarding (standing on a board while holding onto a kite). Luckily, you can experience the thrill for yourself by renting kiteboarding or windsurfing equipment from Blowing in the Wind – a full-service kite shop located in Wrightsville Beach that also offers lessons from professionals. Trying to self-teach? Check out these tips and best winds for kiteboarding and windsurfing in Wrightsville Beach.
- Paddleboarding – Okay, we know paddleboarding can be relaxing. But if you’re an adventure seeker, try a more extreme version of standup paddleboarding (SUP) with speedy intracoastal tours and ocean excursions. Rent a SUP and even take a lesson if it’s new to you, then see how far and fast you can go. Wrightsville Beach is home to many paddleboard shops and professionals who offer guided tours and excursions, so you’ll have all resources you need for the ultimate SUP experience.
- Surfing – Wrightsville Beach is consistently rated to as one of the best surfing beaches in the U.S. by publications such as Men’s Journal, Surfer, and Outdoor, so it’s an obvious choice for visitors who want a rush of adrenaline while embracing the Wrightsville Beach lifestyle. Not only is the surf close-to-perfect most days, you will also be surrounded by surf shops, surf schools, outfitters and surf-themed restaurants.
- Scuba Diving – Scuba diving is perfect for those curious minds who seek more than what’s available above water. With Aquatic Safaris, you can get up close and personal with real sunken ships hidden beneath the surface of Wrightsville Beach’s waters. Discover the remains of shipwrecks, underwater rock ledges and marine life you can only see with a scuba suit. Not certified yet? Not a problem. They also offer PADI-Certified SCUBA certification courses for beginners and an assortment of continuing education classes for more experienced scuba divers.
- Kayak and SUP Fishing – Kick your fishing trip up a notch by casting a line from a kayak or standup paddleboard! Kayak fishing and paddleboard fishing are two of the fastest-growing extreme sports right now, and Wrightsville Beach has everything you need to give it a try. Hook, Line & Paddle offers guided fishing tours with an all-inclusive price that covers a fishing kayak or paddleboard, an experienced guide and all the gear you need to make a great catch. The tours take place in the salt marshes of Wrightsville Beach and nearby Fort Fisher, where you’ll find red fish, flounder, trout, blue fish and Spanish mackerel. Don’t hesitate to bring a group – there is a multi-person discount!
- Jet Skiing – For a fun-filled afternoon on the water, rent top-of-the-line jet skis from any rental shop or bring your own to launch the public boat ramp. The smooth ocean waters surrounding Wrightsville Beach are perfect for jet skiers and boaters alike, but riding on your own jet ski will give any adventurer that much-desired adrenaline rush!
No matter what your interests are, Wrightsville Beach can accommodate them. From beachgoers to thrill seekers, Wrightsville Beach offers endless activities to keep everyone entertained. When you’re ready to relax after a day of thrills on the water, head to one of Wrightsville Beach’s delicious restaurants to enjoy anything from today’s fresh catch to a margarita and Mexican cuisine. Wrightsville Beach has a variety of restaurants, many of them waterfront featuring live music, and bars to help you unwind from your adrenaline-pumping adventures.
About Wrightsville Beach
Wrightsville Beach is North Carolina’s most accessible beach from Interstate 40. It’s easier to get here and even easier to stay. Everything visitors need is right on the island, with an abundance of outdoor activities, rich history, the scenic Intracoastal Waterway, miles of beach, family-friendly events, and full-service hotels and rental options. For more information, go to www.VisitWrightsvilleBeachNC.com or call (800) 650-9106. Find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/WrightsvilleBeachNC and Twitter @WrightsvilleNC.
French West Vaughan