Hollywood is Calling…Hollywood East That Is!
Affectionately referred to as “Hollywood East” by locals, Wilmington, N.C.’s Historic River District and Island Beaches boast a bounty of extraordinary experiences from the river to the sea. Since Hollywood first called in 1983, Wilmington and our island beaches have logged more than 400 film-related credits.
Last year was another great year for movies made-in-Wilmington and its Island Beaches, with the success of Melissa McCarthy’s “Tammy” and strong ratings for CBS’s “Under the Dome” and Fox's "Sleepy Hollow”. Be sure to check out the new Sleepy Hollow Location/FAQ Sheet in the Self-Guided Tours & Locations section below. And Wilmington welcomes the first-ever 'One Tree Hill' convention in March & August.
We just love seeing Wilmington and our beaches on the silver screen!
Here are some reasons to look forward to 2015:
• The return of the Wilmington-filmed series “Under the Dome” moves to Thursday nights on CBS at 9pm EST. Season 3 premieres on June 25.
• Season 1 series premiere of ABC’s “Secrets & Lies” starring Ryan Philippe airs Sundays at 9pm EST. http://abc.go.com/shows/secrets-and-lies
• EyeCon will host the first-ever ‘One Tree Hill” convention/fan events in Wilmington on March 27-29 and August 7-9. Several of the show’s actors are scheduled to participate: www.eyeconfla.com/
• Following a brief winter hiatus, EUE/Screen Gems Studios will resume weekend (Sat./Sun.) walking tours in spring 2015 of the 10-stage working lot with access to sound stages of the CBS series “Under the Dome.” http://studios.euescreengems.com/nc/tours/
• The 2015 release of North Carolina native Nicholas Sparks’ latest novel-turned-screenplay "The Longest Ride" on April 10, Watch the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOlV6wZLkjY .
• The 2015 release of the big screen adaptation of Mattel’s highly anticipated action/adventure film “Max Steel” starring Maria Bello, Mike Doyle, and Andy Garcia (TBA).
• Recently wrapped indie productions we also look forward to in 2015 include: “The Sin Seer,” “The Squeeze,” the TBS pilot “Vacationland,” “Blue Mountain State-the movie” and “Adrenaline”.
Filmmakers and visitors favor the mild climate, island beaches, varied landscapes and architecture, and historic town along the Cape Fear River. Pulsing with an independent spirit, charm and energy, come see where the water takes you and find out why Hollywood lights are drawn to Wilmington. AND check out this “Entertainment Weekly” piece for the scoop on how to experience Hollywood East in "Wilmington, N.C.: Small City Behind Big TV Shows".