Groups & Weddings FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

From beach wedding permits to visitor guide requests and recommendations for venues, here’s our list of most frequently asked questions and answers about hosting a wedding or reunion in Wilmington and our Island Beaches.

  • Yes, the services manager can provide copies of the Visitors Guide and Guide Map to the bride and her guests at no charge. The services manager can also provide you with a Wedding and Reunions Resources list to assist you in planning your special day or event.

  • Carolina Beach does not require permits for beach weddings, however, tents and chairs are not permitted. For more information, call the Carolina Beach Parks & Recreation Department at (910) 458-7416.

    Kure Beach allows weddings on the beach, however, no chairs or tents are permitted. For more information, call the Town Hall Event Coordinator at (910) 458-8216.

    Wrightsville Beach requires a special event permit application for weddings. The three full-service hotels at Wrightsville Beach, Blockade-Runner Beach Resort, Lumina on Wrightsville Beach, a Holiday Inn Resort and Shell Island Resort, will arrange for your wedding to take place in front of their oceanfront properties. However, if you would like to be married at the south inlet public gazebo or other public beach locations, call the Wrightsville Beach Parks & Recreation Department at (910) 256-7925.

  • Wilmington and our Island Beaches offer several unique locations for a truly memorable event. Several unique locations include:

    • B&Bs/Inns
    • Beaches
    • Boats/Sailing Charters
    • Chapels
    • Historic Mansions
    • Museums/Aquariums
    • Public Gardens/Parks
  • You do not have to be a resident of North Carolina to be married here, but you do need a license. You can get one from the Register of Deeds office in any county in North Carolina. There is no waiting period, blood test or physical exam and once issued, the license is valid for 60 days.

    In New Hanover County and Wilmington, you can apply for a marriage license at the Register of Deeds office at 320 Chestnut Street, Suite 120 in downtown Wilmington or the satellite office at 230 Government Center, Suite 185. Marriage license application hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (910) 798-4544. Fee for a license is currently $60.

For More Information:

Karen Warren

Karen Warren Visitor Services