The first permanent settlement of the Cape Fear Region- Brunswick Town became Fort Anderson during the Civil War. Founded as a town in 1726, and destroyed in 1776 by British soldiers on the eve of the Revolutionary War, the ruins include St. Philips Church, Russellborough the home of two Royal Governors, and the earthen mounds of Confederate Fort Anderson. The site includes a Visitor Center housing exhibits and artifacts from the historical town and an incredible mosaic by the legendary artist Claude Howell. A video program provides a brief orientation of the history of the area. A self guided walking tour map is also available.
Museum and 3/4 mile serene riverside trail are fully ADA accessible and rich in Colonial and Civil War history